During World War II, Josephine Baker served with the French Red Cross and was an active member of the French resistance movement. Using her career as a cover Baker became an intelligence agent, carrying secret messages written in invisible ink on her sheet music. She was awarded the Croix de Guerre, and received a Medal of the Resistance in 1946. In 1961 she received the highest French honor, the Legion d’Honneur awarded by then President Charles de Gaulle.
Our loss, U.S.A….
If you don’t admire the shit out of J. Baker, who was also pretty openly bisexual and adopted NINETEEN children in addition to the badassery mentioned above, I want you to go sit in the corner and think about your life choices.
um she was also a huge civil rights activist and her refusal to perform for segregated audiences at major clubs that were fallin over themselves to book her helped de-segregate vegas performance venues
aaaand she had a pet cheetah
#BiTalks Week 2: Bisexual Representation In Media
We often talk about erasure and misrepresentation of bisexuals in the media (TV, film, books, comics, and so on), but this week here at BiTalks we want to try to see the positive in bisexual representation! Let’s talk about the positivity we feel when someone in media is labeled as bi and/or shows sexual/romantic/affectionate feelings to two or more genders. Let’s talk about what we would like to see & what we wish was included in bisexual representation in the media. Let’s talk about our favorite bisexual characters. Perhaps seeing a show with a bisexual character has helped you feel less alone or even helped you figure out your own bisexuality?
This topic will be open for one week.
We want to hear from all of you! Short anecdotes and long stories, you can talk as much or as little as you like. This week is about bisexual representation in media!
How this works:
- Create a new post about this topic, tag it #bitalks FIRST (after the 3rd/5th tag, it won’t show up in the tag)
- We will reblog the posts (except biphobic stuff if that arises), and quality commentary/responses as well (make sure you tag your commentary if you want it to be reblogged please)!
- We will create a masterpost when this topic closes (September 27th) and credit to tumblr usernames unless otherwise noted in your post.
Please tag trigger warnings as necessary.
Sept. 21 9:58 am
- 3 arrested in Ferguson after protester(s) hit by car (storify) (video of incident) (video of arrest)
- Lessons of Ferguson Part 2: Criminal Justice System on Trial
- Slavery matters more than ever
- Urban Born helps kids build relationships with police in Ferguson. But why is that the responsibility of the kids? Shouldn’t the police stop racial profiling?
- What’s Happening Today: Protest at STL Rams football game 12pm-2pm. More info. Ferguson protesters plan to disrupt STL Rams game on Sunday “No Justice, No Football” STL Police Chief says he’s prepared to defend against protests.
- Coming Up: 1. Sept. 22 - Ferguson Town Hall Meeting addressing misperceptions about the city of Ferguson from 6pm-8pm 2. Mother 2 Mother: A conversation with black mothers to white about “the talk” with their black sons. 6pm-8pm. More info.
Here are some other things of interest to look at and learn about —
- Learn about the GLBT History Museum's “Biconic Flashpoints: 40 years of Bay Area Bisexual Politics” exhibit in San Francisco, CA
- Learn about how the late Dr. David Lourea and other San Francisco bisexuals helped create and shape AIDS education and prevention outreach via this post about the Dr. David Lourea Papers Archive.
fun date idea: we both cancel
Sept. 20 8:55 am
- Ferguson limiting attendance at its Town Hall meetings. No media or other STL residents allowed.
- Fundraising still stalled for Darren Wilson
- How body cameras could change police
- The rhetoric of white privilege in America
- What’s Happening Today: STL Crisis Nursery distributing supplies on Canfield from 12pm-2pm. More info.
Playing kitten falls asleep
Take down your pics, take back your life. A DIY guide to removing images posted without your consent.
This is a very important website. Please spread the link.
Hey sex workers!
Be sure to check out this awesome series from bisexual comic author/artist (and contributer to Anything That Loves) MariNaomi!